Is Rocket Spanish Any Good?
If you’re looking for reviews of Rocket Languages Spanish then I’m pretty sure you have a few questions you’d like answers to. Is Rocket Spanish any good? Does Rocket Spanish work? How does Rocket Spanish compare to the other on-line Spanish courses. Where can I buy Rocket Spanish, how much does it cost and is there a way to get a discount? If these are some of the things you’d like to know then you’ll be glad to hear that you’ve come to the right place.
Those are the very same questions that I wanted answers to when I was doing my own research into Rocket Spanish Premium. The review of the popular Rocket Spanish course I have put together below will answer all of these questions for you plus a few more. It will hopefully save you some of the ‘leg work’ that I had to do when researching on-line Spanish courses for myself. My aim is that this article will help you to decide if the Rocket Languages Spanish course is really worth your time and money!
Rocket Languages Spanish Review – Table of Contents
Since this review of the Rocket Spanish course is quite a long and detailed one (just over 5000 words) you may find the table of contents below useful. If you are in a hurry you will find it particularly useful as you can quickly skip to the specific information you are looking for by clicking on any of the quick links provided below.
-Is Rocket Spanish Premium Any Good?- Introduction (above)
-First Things First – What Exactly is Rocket Languages Spanish?
-Where Did Rocket Languages Spanish Come From?
-Rocket Spanish Premium Explained – Contents and Features of the Course
-Does Rocket Spanish Really Work – Are People Successful With This Course?
-How Does Rocket Spanish Compare To Other Online Spanish Courses?
-Rocket Spanish Vs Rosetta Stone
-Rocket Spanish Vs Pimsleur
-Rocket Spanish Vs Fluenz
-Rocket Spanish Customer Reviews -What Other Users of The Course Have to Say
-Rocket Spanish – Bad Reviews and Things to Watch Out For
-Rocket Spanish Scam?
-Buying Advice – How to Buy Safely and Get a Discount
-Is Rocket Spanish Worth It? – My Advice
First Things First – What Exactly is Rocket Spanish?
Well here’s the quick explanation – basically, what you get for your money with this course is lifetime access to the Rocket Spanish Premium online Spanish language learning centre. This online learning centre is a very modern, clean looking, well designed and easy to navigate membership website where members can log in from any computer anywhere in the world to access all manner of Spanish language learning material in the form of audio, audio visual and written content and lessons.
A large proportion of the content of the course is also fully downloadable. For example there are numerous audio files that can be downloaded and stored on a CD or MP3 player. There are also many transcripts of the various lessons from the course available to download and print so that you can keep working on your Spanish learning even when you are nowhere near your computer.
Where Did Rocket Spanish Come From?
Having been established in 2004 by two friends Mark Ling and Jason Oxenham Rocket Spanish has been around for just over ten years now. Mark and Jason both had experienced the more traditional language teaching courses and books that were available at bookshops and universities. They felt that there must be an easier and more effective way of learning a language.
They set about developing a better way of learning Spanish and with the help of their native Spanish speaking friend Mauricio Evlampieff and an expert in Spanish languages Amy Waterman the Rocket Spanish Premium language learning course was born. The main element of the course was a series of fully downloadable interactive audio lessons. It’s aim was to not only have you reading and writing Spanish, but speaking Spanish, being able to understand Spanish when it was spoken to you and also to significantly reduce the amount of time it took to learn the language.
The course rapidly became very popular online, so much so that it soon led to the development of other Rocket Languages courses based on the same learning methods. Rocket Spanish Premium has been continually developed and updated over the years. A number of other languages have also been added to the Rocket Languages family of courses to the point where the company boasts of having over 1000,000 online registered users of their language courses.
Rocket Spanish Explained – Contents and Features of the Course
The Rocket Spanish Premium Course is packed full of features. There are many different kinds of lessons to choose from all of which can be accessed from an online account (which you get access to when you buy the course). When you log in to this account you will arrive at your ‘dashboard’ which is essentially the home page of the site from which you can access all of the learning material.
The site has been well designed and has a very simple layout that makes it easy to navigate with the main learning sections or modules being easily accessed from tabs across the top of the page and all the other sections are easily found through tabs down the left hand sidebar of the page. Some of the main features of the course are outlined below.
- Interactive Audio: These lessons are where you will learn the most. Each interactive audio lesson is broken down into three modules – ‘conversation’, ‘practice’ and ‘my level’. For the conversation module you will be taken through a short Spanish conversation which will be broken down into individual words and phrases where you are prompted to repeat the words and phrases out loud. For the ‘practice’ part of each lesson you get to record yourself speaking some Spanish words and phrases and compare your recording to a native Spanish speaker for correctness. With the ‘my level’ module you are tested on what you have learned and given a score which you can then work towards improving.
- Language and Culture: Again this section of the course consists of three modules – ‘language’, ‘culture’ and ‘my level’. The language module deals with all the Spanish language fundamentals such as pronunciation, verbs, adjectives, gender and all that sort of stuff. The culture module gives you information about Spanish speaking countries and some of their customs and also a little bit of history. The ‘my level’ module allows you to test yourself on what you have learned in this section in the same way as for the interactive audio lessons.
- Games: There are two types of interactive game included with the course. Each of these two types of game has two versions so you get four games in total – Mega Cards Beginners, Mega Cards Advanced, Phrase Master and Word Master. The Mega Card games are interactive memory games and the Phrase and Word Master games put you under pressure to construct various Spanish words and phrases before the time runs out! These games are basically designed to test your knowledge of the written word and also test and improve your vocabulary.
- Survival Kit: The survival kit is a series of vocabulary sessions with interactive audio lessons each of which focus on a specific Spanish language vocabulary set. For example there are vocabulary lessons based around days of the week, body parts, city life, colours, clothes and countries of the world.
- My Dashboard: This area of the course is kind of your home page or starting point. Here you will find a check list of ten different features of the course that you are encouraged to try out at the beginning in order to fully familiarise yourself with the course. There is also a ‘course recommendations’ feature here where lessons are suggested to you based on what level you are at and what parts of the course you have already completed.
- My Assessments: Testing yourself as you go along is a great way to keep track of your progress when learning a new language. The ‘My Assessments’ section of the course allows you to do just this by selecting from a number of quizzes based on the material covered in the various lessons throughout the course.
- My Badges: If you are someone who struggles to stay motivated you may find this feature of the course useful. Basically you are awarded points for every lesson that you complete and when you reach a certain number of points you are awarded a badge. There is a whole series of badges which logically range from novice at the beginning all the way up to Spanish speaking guru when you become advanced. Working towadrs achieving your next badge can be a great way to keep motivated and if you are competitive you can also compare your points score on a daily basis to other users of the course who are displayed on a leaderboard.
- My Forum: In this area of the online course you can interact with other learners. You can read questions and comments posted by other users and you can also ask for help by posting a question about something you are struggling with. There are a huge number of people using this forum with wide ranging levels of Spanish so you can learn quite a bit just by reading through the forum posts.
- My Toolbox: This feature of the course has four different sections. The ‘Advanced Learning Techniques Section’ has a large selection of articles which help you to discover what type of learning suits you best and how to make the best use of the course based on the type of learner that you are. There’s a ‘My Vocab’ section where you can record and store your own vocabulary list. There’s a useful Phrase Finder tool where you can type in an English word or phrase and have it translated for you. If you like to make and keep notes as you learn new things there’s a ‘My Notes’ tool where you can store any notes that you make.
Does Rocket Spanish Really Work – Are People Successful With This Course?
With a fairly ‘catchy’ name like ‘Rocket Spanish’ which would seem to suggest that you’ll be learning the language at rocket speed you might be wondering (like I was) if the adverts for this course are all exaggeration and hype or if there’s actually some real value to be found here. With claims from the company’s website that this course could cut your learning time in half and enable you to “become a confident Spanish speaker in an amazingly short space of time” I decided to enrol in the course and find out for myself if Rocket Languages Spanish would live up to expectations.
So, does Rocket Spanish work? Well, my answer to that question would be a simple yes! I won’t give you a blow by blow account of my complete learning experience as this review is already getting quite long, but below I have outlined the main reasons why I feel that Rocket Spanish Premium worked so well for me.
Here’s why Rocket Spanish worked for me:
- • The methods of teaching the language were completely different to the less than enjoyable methods of learning a language I had experienced previously. I learned German as a foreign language at high school. Learning Spanish using this online course was a doddle by comparison.
- • I found the course to be well structured following a logical progression through the basics and then on to the more advanced stuff such as grammar etc. In fact the course website itself is very user friendly and easy to navigate (in my opinion anyway).
- • By downloading most of the audio lessons to CDs I in fact managed to learn an awful lot of Spanish on my daily drive to work – particularly in the mornings when I was fresh at the start of the day (not so much in the evenings though!).
- • The fact that you get lifetime access to the course has been really useful. If ‘life’ gets in the way of my learning for a period of time there’s no problem – I can just pick up where I left off at any time.
How Does Rocket Spanish Compare To Other Online Spanish Courses?
With the digital age we live in becoming more advanced all the time it is no wonder that we are turning to online courses to do our learning more and more. This is certainly true of learning the Spanish language as online Spanish courses are increasing in number and becoming more popular all the time.
With so many Spanish courses available to us on the internet how then do we choose the right one to do our learning with. The answer is simple – we do a little research into as many courses as we can and then pick the one we feel to be the best quality and value.
When I did my own research I found that the most popular online Spanish courses were Rocket Languages Spanish, Rosetta Stone, Primsular and Fluenz (there are many more too but these are the popular ones). I have written some brief comparisons between Rocket Spanish Premium and the other courses which you may find helpful and will give you an idea of how I arrived at my own decision.
Rocket Spanish Vs Rosetta Stone
Rosetta Stone and Rocket Languages Spanish are similar in a number of ways – they are both based on an online platform, they both use interactive audio/visual lessons, they both have downloadable material, both have interactive games and a number of other similar features. Features aside though that’s where the similarities end!
The Rosetta Stone course is based on the principal of language immersion. The course is designed to ‘immerse’ you in the Spanish language as much as possible. Basically what this means is that you won’t find a single word of English spoken or written anywhere in the course lessons.
Part of a typical Rosetta Stone lesson for example would be where you are presented with four pictures and a Spanish phrase. You learn by associating the correct phrase with the relevant picture which is always very obvious. So, with Rocket Spanish you get lots of English explanations of words, phrases, grammar etc with Rosetta Stone you get none!
A feature of the Rosetta Stone course which Rocket Spanish Premium does not have is that you get live scheduled lessons with an actual Spanish tutor (via webcam). The scheduled lessons are usually 50 mins long and you could be one-on-one with the tutor or in a group depending on what time you log in for a lesson.
Some people might like the idea of having a live teacher to interact with but again they will not speak a single word of English to you! By comparison Rocket Spanish has shorter lessons (usually around 20 mins) which are pre-recorded and have lots of easy to follow English translations and instructions.
This next difference between the two courses will be a ‘deal breaker’ for many people. Of course I’m talking about the price here. At the time of writing the Rocket Spanish Premium Course will cost you just under $90 (if you avail of the discount). To enroll in the Rosetta Stone online Spanish course will however set you back just over $220 and that’s only for a twelve month subscription. With Rocket Languages Spanish you get lifetime access to the course.
Many people claim to have achieved fluency in Spanish using Rosetta Stone which some might say makes it better than Rocket Spanish. My own research however has found that this is very unlikely. Benny Lewis say’s in his review of Rosetta Stone over at fluentin3months.com:
So, just like Rocket Languages Spanish you will need to ‘go further’ than Rosetta Stone to achieve fluency in Spanish if that is your eventual goal. For me, the much higher price and the fact that there was no English translations/explanations of the lessons meant that Rosetta Stone was quickly knocked off my list of Spanish Courses worth trying!
Rocket Spanish Vs Pimsleur
The Pimsleur Method is a fairly well established and well known audio language learning technique that has been around for quite a while – in fact it was one of the earliest audio language learning courses on the market way back when cassette tapes were the norm. In order to keep up with the competition however the course has since evolved to include a combined software/online element which is known as Primsleur Unlimited.
Primsleur Unlimited Spanish is quite similar to Rocket Spanish Premiumin many ways. It has many of the same (or similar) features – downloadable audio lessons, reading lessons, interactive games, flash cards, cultural lessons etc. And like Rocket Spanish Pimsleur Unlimited Spanish also has three levels.
From the point of view of how the Spanish language is actually taught there are some differences between the two courses. The main difference is that the Pimsleur Unlimited course rely’s rather heavily on it’s audio lessons whereas Rocket Languages Spanish is much more interactive with it’s core lessons being audio visual.
Another difference between these courses is that when you purchase Pimsleur Unlimited Spanish you are sent a DVD data disc with the software application on it which must be ran on your computer. It requires a minimum of 1GB of RAM and a minimum of 10GB of free disc space. Rocket Spanish can be used entirely online without downloading or installing anything to your computer.
One of the first things many people look at when they are researching a product is the price. So, how do these courses compare on price? Well, Pimsleur works out to be more expensive than Rocket Spanish Premium – but not by much! The list price for Pimsleur Unlimeted Spanish level 1 is $150 but it seems that they regularly run promotions where you can avail of the course for just under $120. Rocket Languages Spanish can be purchased for just under $90.
The ‘deal breaker’ for me with Pimsleur Spanish was the fact that you could only use the course on a computer which had the required DVD software installed on it. With Rocket Spanish however you can login and access the course from any computer anywhere (as long as there’s an internet connection of course). The lower price and slightly better features (in my opinion) also swayed my decision towards Rocket Spanish Premium.
Rocket Spanish Vs Fluenz
Although Fluenz Spanish is also a highly interactive course it is quite different to Rocket Languages Spanish. The key difference is in the way that the Spanish lessons are delivered. Where Rocket Spanish could be described as mostly an interactive audio course Fluenz Spanish would be best described as an interactive video course.
For the entire Fluenz Spanish course you will have one of the course founders as a tutor to guide you through the various ‘sessions’ of the course. On a series of pre recorded video lessons the tutor will take you through various Spanish conversations. These Spanish conversations are very well broken down, explained and translated into English by the tutor. Rocket Spanish Premium has this in common with Fleunz – all lessons are very well explained in English.
Another difference between Fluenz Spanish and Rocket Languages Spanish is in the structure of the lessons. Fluenz is taught in ‘sessions’ which typically take around 2 hours each to complete. Rocket Spanish has a very different structure with the course lessons rarely taking longer than 20 minutes.
Just like Rocket Spanish the Fluenz Spanish course is very user friendly. When I tried the demo I could quickly see how easy this course was to navigate through. This ease of navigation is accomplished mostly by the fact that the course structure is so well designed but also in part as a result of there simply being less to navigate through!
When you compare the features of these two courses you will soon see that Fluenz Spanish has little else outside of the course sessions whereas Rocket Spanish is packed full of extra features outside of it’s core lessons. You won’t find things like flash cards, interactive games or voice recording software in Fleunz Spanish.
Similar to Rocket Spanish Fluenz Spanish has a number of different levels. A difference here though is that Rocket Spanish has 3 levels whereas Fluenz Spanish actually has 5 levels. To compare prices, level one of Rocket Spanish will cost you just under $90. Level one of Fluenz will cost you $177.
My opinion of Fluenz Spanish is that it is an excellent course – easily proven by the many positive reviews I read. If I had not gone for Rocket Spanish I would have chosen Fluenz. My main misgiving with the Fluenz Spanish course was the length of the lessons. Sitting down to study Spanish for two hours at a time is something that I would rarely be able to find the time to do.
With shorter lessons, extra features and of course a lower price I felt that Rocket Spanish was just better value overall and definitely a better fit for me personally.
Rocket Spanish Customer Reviews -What Other Users of The Course Have to Say
Before deciding to invest our hard earned cash in any kind of product or service we all like to be as sure as we can be that that particular product or service is of good quality and will meet our needs exactly. One great way to help us make our decision is to find out what the experience of people who have already used that product or service has been.
Well, that’s exactly what I did before I chose Rocket Spanish. The excerpts below are taken from some of the customer reviews I found which helped me to make my decision about Rocket Spanish.
• One user of the Rocket Spanish course named Nabil who posted a youtube video review says this about the course:
This is a common point made by many users of Rocket Spanish and has also been my own experience – basically the course is very user friendly.
• A member over at Yahoo Answers named Deepti had this to say of her experience with Rocket Spanish:
Deepti makes a great point here – by downloading some of the course audio files you can take your Spanish learning with you anywhere. If you like the idea of learning some Spanish during your daily commute or whilst out for your morning jog then you’ll find it useful to know that the Rocket Spanish course has the features which will allow you to do this.
• Deepti goes on to say:
Now this part of Deepti’s comment I really have to agree with. For me, being able to read the words being spoken on the audio and then speak them back out loud myself was what I liked most about the course. It’s kind of like throwing mud at a wall – if you can see it, hear it and do it pretty much all at the same time then an awful lot more of that ‘mud’ is going to stick!
• A rather interesting point made by the reviewers over at No1reviews.com is that:
The above comment was made by the reviewer when comparing Rocket Spanish to some other similar courses. The reviewer was making the point that in the Rocket Spanish course there is a very strong emphasis on actually speaking Spanish as you learn it which for most people I guess is a lot more important than the reading and writing aspect of the language.
Rocket Spanish – Bad Reviews and Things to Watch Out For
If you’ve already gone through a few Rocket Spanish Reviews you might have noticed that there is very little to be found in the way of bad reviews of Rocket Spanish or negativity towards the course. There are however a few things about the course that I feel you should know that other reviewers rarely mention.
• A member over at forumchitchat.com who has used all three levels of Rocket Spanish Says:
I Guess there’s two things that can be taken from the comment above. One is that Rocket Spanish is good for complete beginners. The other is that if you already have a basic or intermediate level of Spanish then a more advanced level of the course or other course might serve you better.
• The following quote is taken from a Review by H. Gordon from over at yourlanguageplace.com:
Gordon makes the point here that Rocket Spanish will not get you to complete fluency in the Spanish Language. From my own knowledge of the course I would have to agree – the course will certainly get you a long way towards fluency but if that is your ultimate goal you need to know that you will have to go ‘beyond Rocket Spanish’ to get there.
Rocket Spanish Scam?
What’s all this then about a Rocket Spanish scam? Well, let me assure you that there is no scam. Rocket Languages is a well established (founded in 2004), trustworthy and properly registered company with two physical addresses that you can actually go to and phone numbers that you can actually call up.
Rocket Languages USA: 8721 Santa Monica Blvd #1229, Los Angeles, CA 90069-4057, USA | Phone: +1-310-601-4958
Rocket Languages Asia/Pacific: 2-1008 Ferry Road, Woolston, Christchurch 8023, New Zealand | Phone: +64-3-384-6350
So why then, you might ask, do you see the occasional Rocket Spanish scam warning when you do a google search for ‘Rocket Spanish’ or ‘Rocket Spanish Reviews’? Let me explain why. The image below is typical of the type of thing you might sometimes find – a website that is advertising in some way that Rocket Spanish is a scam.
What you will usually find if you actually click on a search result like that shown above is that there will be no mention of a scam at all on the site you arrive at. What you will often find however is a very biased review of the Rocket Spanish course which tells you that you should go immediately and buy the course.
So basically dishonest online marketers use the headline ‘Rocket Spanish Scam’ in order to get you to click through to their website in the hope that they will make some money if you buy the course after clicking their affiliate link – there is no scam!
Buy Rocket Spanish – How to Buy Safely and Get a Discount
If you are going to buy the Rocket Spanish Course then make sure to read through the few pointers that I have given below.
• There’s only one place you can buy Rocket Spanish from and that’s the official Rocket Languages website. The current price of Rocket Spanish Premium is $99.95 (discounted from $149.95). If you see Rocket Spanish for sale anywhere other than the official Rocket Languages website or for any price other than that stated above then do be careful as it is likely that you will be interacting with a fraudulent website.
• Rocket Languages use a company called Clickbank to Process their orders. Clickbank is one of the largest, most well established and secure retailers of digital products on the internet. I myself have bought many products (certainly more than twenty and mostly ebooks) over the last few years from various companies online who used Clickbank to process their orders and have never had a problem with them. You can buy products through Clickbank and know with 100% certainty that your credit card details and personal information are safe. All products sold through Clickbank are also covered by a genuine 60 day money back guarantee which is also good to know.
• You can currently save $10 by signing up for the free trial. This is something that is not advertised anywhere on the Rocket Spanish website. If you head over to the Official Rocket Spanish site and fill out the form for the free trial (by submitting your name and email) you will be given immediate access to the course. What you should find is a small banner add at the top of ‘your dashboard’ which will be offering you the course for an ‘early bird’ price of $89.95 ($10 cheaper than the regular $99.95). They will also send you a welcome email with the same offer. So simply by signing up for the free trial you’ll be saving $10 off the regular price!
Is Rocket Spanish Worth It? – My Advice
If you’ve read this far down this review then I hope you found the information here useful. So, is Rocket Spanish worth your time and money – well, that’s for you to decide! For me personally, I feel that the Rocket Spanish course was well worth my time and money – I would happily recommend the course to a friend!
The best piece of advice I could give to anyone thinking about investing in Rocket Spanish is to go and try the free trial. By giving the trial a go you’ll get to find out if the course is right for you (or not) and also learn a good deal of Spanish to boot! The Link I have provided below will take you to the official Rocket Languages website where you can find out more about Rocket Spanish and sign up for the free trial if you wish.
CLICK HERE to Start Learning Spanish Right Away and Try Rocket Spanish For Free (by Signing Up for Your Free Trial)